For many of us, volunteering and giving back to the community is a yearlong commitment that extends beyond the holiday season. At Heartfelt Catering, one of the organizations that Executive Chef Cecelia Hamilton supports is Purple Asparagus. Purple Asparagus educates children, families and the community about eating foods that are good for the body and the planet.
As 2015 comes to a close, we’d love for you to consider supporting Purple Asparagus, too. And just to motivate you a little, we’ve decided to list our top 5 things we’ve learned while volunteering at Purple Asparagus this year.
1. Exposing kids to healthier foods and teaching them such etiquette as a “polite bite” goes a long way toward helping them better understand food.
2. The activity of trying a new food builds a new set of communication skills for kids that equip them with the tools to describe what they like and dislike, far beyond ”it tastes yucky!”
3. Once healthy foods are learned, kids remember them and are better able to identify healthy foods at home and school. Some kids will even go as far as asking where they can purchase the healthy foods that you share with them — actively participating!
4. Kids do enjoy trying new things and telling everybody what they’ve done. While it may take a few weeks for something to catch on, eventually it does and they appreciate you listening to them and helping them understand why healthy foods are good for them.
5. We already knew this before, but our volunteer time at Purple Asparagus has confirmed — kids are truly amazing, adorable, inquisitive and resilient! They want to eat healthily and just need a little guidance on how to do it!
If you’re looking for an organization to support before year’s end, please consider donating to Purple Asparagus today!